Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving,What are you thankful for?

As Thanksgiving approaches we all know that Christmas is close behind and the close of 2010 is near.
I always get a bit nostalgic around the holidays. I live a ways from my hometown and only have my husbands family around me so I tend to get a little homesick this time of year. I often think of my childhood days and how family was always together for Thanksgiving . I can almost smell the turkey roasting and see those pumpkin pies sitting proudly on the counter waiting for their grand entrance after the dinner ritual. Today so many of us are far from home. Families no longer live around the block, or even in the same town or state. Families are now scattered across the country, some across the world. Some of us have sons, daughters, husbands or wives fighting wars in Iraq or Afghanistan. As I think of this I remember how thankful I am for my family. For the parents who worked so hard to put food on the table, clothing on our backs, medicine when we needed it. I am thankful that, even though they are 350 miles away, I still have them, I can still pick up the phone and speak with them. I am thankful for my siblings. I don't see them often but I know they are there for me should I ever need them.I am thankful for my children, all three of them. I am so thankful that they are healthy, safe and successful and are living comfortable lives. I am thankful for my beautiful grandchildren,, all 5 of them.I don't see them often but they are always in my heart and thoughts, I am thankful for my wonderful husband of 18 months. I spend most of my child rearing days divorced and alone, submerged in my children and trying to survive. That mission accomplished I have found the most loving man in the world who I plan to spend the remainder of my days with. I am thankful to the new family that I have inherited with him, 3 children and 8 grandchildren, I am thankful that I have remained cancer free for almost 5 years. I learned of my diagnosis 5 years ago this Black Friday and I never expected to be here, healthy and blogging 5 years later. I am thankful for my friends and the love and support they have given me. Here is to the holidays...my favorite time of the year. May you all enjoy your family and friends, both near and far, this holiday season and remember how very lucky we really are, Have a wonderful, safe Thanksgiving surrounded by those who love you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments from my sweet peeps!